The Idiotic Villager The Idiotic Villager The Idiotic Villager

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The purpose of all life.

We all know that the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42. Unfortunately, this does not help us in deriving any satisfactory conclusions. We humans, being self-aware creatures, are constantly (well, maybe not that constantly) assailed by the philosophical question, "why do I live?". In fact, unless a satisfactory answer to this question is provided, we usually find ourselves no different from the plankton in the ocean, merely drifting where the tide takes us.

Have I arrived at a satisfactory answer? Have I finally attained the ultimate enlightenment that will set me free? No, I have not. The reason for this I believe is that there is no such thing. Through simple logic we can all arrive at the conclusion that life, especially self-aware life is nothing but an un-planned accident in the utter chaos that is the universe. No, I will not accept the "Holy" bible or any other "Holy" book as proof to the contarary. As far as I am concerned, such books are simply works of fiction whose authors convieniently forgot to put in the disclaimer.

Now we come to the heart of the problem. If life has no purpose, why do we live? Why do we do the things we do? A vast majority of us struggle through life, constantly striving to attain better and better standards of living. Why? In the end, we are just going to die. Beyond that, there is nothing. At least, nothing from this world. So how do we inspire and motivate ourself, if not with promises of a non-existant afterlife? The answer is simple, we do it with what I like to call the "goal-screen".

Imagine that life is a road. A road that extends into infinity. We are all walking along that road unaware of when we will abruptly fall dead. So why do we walk at all? There is no destination on the road, so why run? This is where the goal-screen comes in. To ensure that I run on the road, I place a large screen in the distance. A screen that looks like a destination. It cuts off my vision of the eternity that I cannot comprehend and provides me with something tangible that I can reach. Hence, I run.

I don't know how much of this made sense, I apologize for the uncharacteristically large amount of non-sense in this post. This is more of an attempt to clear the clutter in own head than a proper blog post. Still, feel free to add to the mess.
Cheers!

15 comments:

Ashish said...

Well your nonsense makes perfect sense to me :). Your goal screen is something that we ourselves or the ppl arnd us set for us. And throughout our lives we are on a pursuit. Another'Subliminal verse' from the village idiot :). Love it.

Sandy said...

Ashish, I am so glad you made some sense out of my random rambling. I am also honoured that you consider it a 'Subliminal Verse'. :)

Nashe^ said...

I think we all take the time to think about these things at some point in our lives...
Btw I liked your previous post about anger. :)


Ps; Love your header fonts and all, but I can't comment if I use Mozilla. Can this be changed?

Sandip Pai said...

Testing with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.14

Sandy said...

Nashe^, it seems to work fine with Mozilla for me. Perhaps you were not signed in? Also, please try updating Firefox to the latest version.
Regardless, I have now enabled anonymous comments. Maybe that will fix the problem.
Thanks for bringing this to my notice. :)
Keep reading The Idiotic Villager.

Sandy said...

Ps: Switched from embedded comment form to full page. This should definitely do the trick. :)

Gayathri said...

Well,everyone ponders over meaning of our existence at some point of life it seems..life certainly is an endless journey,but can be meaningful if we intend to!

Sandy said...

Gayathri, it is relief to know that I am not the only crazy person around. :)
Also, what do you mean by "life can be meaningful"?

Ashish said...

Hey Sandy!!
I don't think u particularly like being tagged and all.. but just to trouble u a little i have tagged u in my last post. If you feel like, please complete it :).

Sandy said...

Ashish, thanks for considering me tag-worthy, but you are right, I am too lazy to do blog posts, let alone tags. :P

Ashish said...

Haha.. ok dude.. but dnt let ur laziness restrict u from reading my blog posts :P. I just wrote something that u might be interested in. Need your views on that. Chao!! :)

P.T said...

Well I ask myself that question almost everyday! And your explanation kinda makes sense to me!

Bijoy said...

Dear Blogger,

We are a group of students from cochin who are currently building a web portal on kerala. in which we wish to include a blog roll I found your Blogs interesting so inviting you to join our new venture you could find our site here: http://enchantingkerala.org

the site is currently being constructed and will be finished by 20 of Dec 2009

we wish to include your blog located here

http://idioticvillager.blogspot.com/

we'll also have a feed fetcher which updates the recently updated blogs from among the listed blogs thus generating traffic to your recently posted entries.

If you are interested in listing your site in our blog roll; kindly include a link to our site in your blog in the prescribed format and send us a reply to enchantingkerala.org@gmail.com and we'll add your blog immediately. Ypu can add to our blog if you have more blog pls sent us the link of other blog we will add here

pls use the following format to link to us

KeralaTravel

Write Back To me Over here bijoy20313@gmail.com or keralaenchanting@gmail.com

hoping to hear from you soon.

warm regards

Bibby

freebird...... said...

dude...i admire ur goal screen innovation...but i still couldn't set..or even find that tangible thingy...and i'm happy tat i couldn't.. ;)..i too see my life like an open roa...and me as a fellow traveller(with no money fcourse)..and every turn there seems to surprises me..sometimes schocks me death..& i'm jus lookin forward..and so impatient for the next turn...keep the space busy...man

Sandy said...

@freebird
That is a very nice way to go about life too. Unfortunately, some people like me find it impossible to accept the fact that life has no purpose. Hence the goal-screen.

Rock on birdie!