I once read something in the editorial of a gaming magazine. It was something many of us would like our mothers to say to us.
"Beta, game khelo, (Son, play games) we need money for a new car."
I began dreaming that day of a life where all you needed to do was play games. In fact, my juvenile self had even planned on making gaming a lucrative career. Ah, the naivety of an ignorant mind. Even though it's been ages since that day, I still cannot completely abandon my dream. Hence, in opposition to all those articles titled "Gaming is bad for your kid", I am going to enumerate some reasons why gaming is good.
The physiological benefits:
1. It is a known fact that games improve your reflexes and multitasking skills.
2. They also get your adrenaline pumping and your blood flowing. (Just like sex does, and we all know sex rocks.)
3. A gaming addiction can help you to gain weight. (As long as you order pizza 3 times a day.)
4. Gaming is an amazing cardiovascular workout, especially for your index finger.
The social benefits:
1. Most games today have a multi-player component. This encourages social interaction with like-minded people.
2. Games like 'World of Warcraft' have players from all over the world. Playing them makes you broad-minded and civil.
3. Many people have even met their soul-mates in game worlds. Some even multiple times.
The psychological benefits:
1. The media says gaming fuels anger and violence in kids. That's why games have a rating on them If you let your six year old play brutal games, what kind of parent are you?
2. If used properly, games can be an amazing and harmless sink to channel negative energy. Got shouted at by your boss? Come home and shoot some zombies.
3. Feeling sexually frustrated? Come home and ...err... yes, there are games for that too.
In fact, I see no reason why one should stay away from games other than the nonsensical statement old people make, "too much awesome is not good."
So play games. It's always good to escape reality once in a while. At least until we find a way to escape it once and for all.