The Idiotic Villager The Idiotic Villager The Idiotic Villager

Monday, July 20, 2009

The Virtue of Laziness

"Laziness is the habit of resting before you get tired."

So read I on a cool t-shirt which also had the pictorial representation of a reclining male, (fully clothed, you perverts!), so peaceful that he almost looked comatose.

According to me, laziness is a defining characteristic of man (equality of sexes be damned!). In fact, I positively believe that laziness is the one trait without which man cannot hope to progress. Cavemen started using the wheel because they were too lazy to walk. They started using fire as they were too lazy to chew uncooked food. They settled down because they were too lazy to look for new places to ravage.

Moving on to more modern times, the invention of progressively faster (and more comfortable) means-of-transport, microwaves, cellphones, television, computers(!) ...etc is a standing testimony to the incurable lethargy that has "plagued" our species since its very inception.

So, why does society look upon this clearly necessary quality as a disease? Were it not for lazy men (yes, yes.. and women), mankind (sorry, woman-kind is not a word) would never have moved beyond the stone-age. Yes, hard-work and dedication are useful to achieve short-term goals such as personal success, a regular paycheck, relief from hunger...etc. But in order to attain the truly meaningful long-term goals such as progress of the human race, laziness is the single most important driving force. Hence, I strongly implore all you self-righteous men and women to stop condemning people for being lazy. In fact, natural inertia should be encouraged and nurtured as a desirable virtue, and I being the laziest of all humans, should be crowned King!

Illusions of grandeur apart, we must all understand that our ultimate goal is laziness, we work hard and save up money for the sole purpose of being lazy in our final years. Everyone is lazy, some just hate to admit it.

I take this opportunity to personally congratulate each and every man, woman or child who has basked in the holy pursuit of procrastination. Be it for a minute or a millennium, laziness is our way of life.

Do leave comments, feel free to flame.
Yours Lethargically,
Sandy

27 comments:

Keshi said...

ty for visiting my online home! :)

ur spot on here! Laziness has been 'installed' in us thru modern times and technology. Now it's a tad too late to call us bludgers right? LOL!


Keshi.

Sandy said...

@Keshi

Always a pleasure to read good blogs. :)

Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Keep reading :)

Tickled pink said...

Interesting post.
Never thought like that.Good point.

Sandy said...

@Tickled pink

Thank you :)

Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Keep reading :)

Simon said...

You really should read at least the opening chapter of Jerome K Jerome’s Three Men in a Boat, which goes into this rather sensitive subject. In the meantime I shall leave you with this quotation from JKJ:

“I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. I love to keep it by me: the idea of getting rid of it nearly breaks my heart.”

Sandy said...

@Simon
Thanks for the tip. Will check the book out. Nice quote too, lol!

Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Keep reading :)

Cabin-boy Dave said...

Wow, this post matches my philosophy in life exactly! Word-for-word, I tell you!

Why work hard now so you can procrastinate when you're sixty? But there are so many people (read offsprings of Satan) who'll exclaim "Don't procrastinate now. You can always do it tomorrow."

To this, I have but one answer. What would you feel like, if while on your deathbed, you suddenly realise that all through your life, you've never had the chance to do nothing?

Where will that ever-so-important you-time come from if you fill every moment with productive activity?

Sandy said...

@Dave

Lol! "Don't procrastinate now. You can always do it tomorrow."
That part had me running around in circles for some time.

Also, what exactly do you mean by 'you-time' ? ;)

Thanks for commenting.
Keep reading The Village Idiot.
Cheers!

pv said...

hey.. man.. this is a good one.. u made a point..

hehe
pv

Sandy said...

@pv

Thanks! I am glad you support my views :)

Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Keep reading :)

GARF said...

Hey...Thanks for stopping by and i loved ur comment.
Do u really think there is something like laziness...i always knew that as hard work keeping up with life..LOL

Sandy said...

@GARF
Hey! It's a pleasure reading your blog. :)

I am a devout follower of laziness. In fact, I celebrate most of my birthdays by sleeping through them. My greatest achievements in life are sleeping for 26 hours straight and going hungry for a whole day because I was too lazy to get up.

Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Keep reading :)

cooper said...

Excellent stuff, I came here from 20 somethings. I hope to catch more later. I'm happy to find a blog by a twenty something that doesn't continually talk about social media or "branding".

Laziness is a virtue.

Tickled pink said...

Hey Sandy
Sorry I missed out thanking you for dropping by on my blog.I guess after reading your post I had happily procastinated it...just kidding..
Ah now m feeling lazy to type...sorry kidding again.
No I am not making fun. you have really made the vice, the virtue in a very intelligent and interesting way.
keep writing friend.
take care

Sandy said...

@cooper
Thanks! I am yet to get nauseated by the large amounts of blogs that talk about social media or 'branding' that you mention. Probably because I have only become blog-active recently.
Laziness is a virtue indeed!
Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Keep reading :)

@Tickled pink
I am glad you have taken my advice to heart. We should all practice being lazy regularly! Thank you for your kind comment.

Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Do come back for more. :)

WinGMaker said...

/*natural inertia should be encouraged and nurtured as a desirable virtue*/

Aha!! Finally someone could speak it out!

Where be the parents.....hmm...

That's What She Said said...

good point. And I find it funny (in a good way)

Sandy said...

@WinGMaker
Yes, if someone has to take the bullet for exposing this closely guarded secret and unshackle the world, might as well be me.
Bring on the parents!

@Mika
Hi, glad you appreciate the logic behind one of the most profound theories in human history!
Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Enjoy your stay!

Rhapsody B. said...

Namaste.....
I am laughing here, what a charmingly unique perspective that hits the nail on the head. Though I am sure many would argue. You do know that one of the seven deadliest sins is Sloth! – A state of equilibrium, Laziness; idleness and wastefulness of time.

haha....this was good. Keep doing your thing and serving them up straight up no chaser, just the way I like it. Peace.

Sandy said...

@Rhapsody B.
Namaste to you too!
Glad I managed to tickle your funny bone. Yes, sloth is one of the seven deadly sins, but personally I think the seven deadly sins are just labeled thus to deter people from having too much fun.

Thanks for stopping by. Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Hope you like it here. :)

R o $ k said...

my my my..!!! :)!!! i think ull find a lot of competition in our class.... hehe..!! neways its really gud...! even da ol mallu saying tells us "madiyan mala chumakkum... " !!! so like u sed for biG tings to happen lets all b lazy... :)


cheers bro...

P $ V ...! (aka palu) :P

Esther said...

hehehe I'm the worst procrastinator. Trust me. This is what I always wanted to read! =D

Sandy said...

@R o $ k
Hi Palu, the mallu proverb does indeed expound on the virtue of laziness. Thank you for supporting my view. As for the competition, I am sure I can easily leave them all behind with my incredible inactivity!
Keep reading. :)

@Esther
I am glad you found acceptance in my humble abode. Nothing gives me more pleasure than knowing that in some small way, I've liberated one more person.
As for the title of 'Worst Procrastinator', you still have to go through me. ;)
Welcome to The Village Idiot.
Keep reading :)

Iva said...

you are a great writer! Keep it up! :) have a great weekend!

Sandy said...

@Iva
Thanks for your generous words! Hope you have a wonderful and lazy weekend too. :)

Rane (The Orchid with All Shades Pink) said...

wow..its been a long long time since I read something so interesting.. :D Say hello to another procrastinator..

Sandy said...

@Rane
Hello! :P
Welcome to The Village Idiot. :)
Glad you liked my blog.
Thank you for following, and do keep reading.
Cheers!