The Idiotic Villager The Idiotic Villager The Idiotic Villager

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Grand Unified Theory of Motivation

Motivation has been variously described as the driving force, the fire within and, when the describer is bored and possibly has nothing better to do than define vague terms, as “the internal condition that activates behavior and gives it direction; energizes and directs goal-oriented behavior.” Like my brothers in the hood might say, I have no beef with any of these definitions and I am certain that none of my beautiful readers have any cow's meat with them either. In fact, they serve nicely to set up the platform on which I can build my post today.

I am not going to expound on what motivation is or how to go about inculcating it in oneself and others. The purpose of this post then has to be to speculate and perhaps conclude about what motivates most, nay, all (Grand Unified, said I) people. It is pleasure. Yes, it is that plain, that simple, that commonplace, and that low. I am sure a lot of you are shaking your heads and considering swearing at me in the comments, but hold off a little longer while I blow away your beliefs and enforce mine with pure, undeniable logic or perhaps some literary hypnotism, or maybe a bit of both. Either-way, prepare to agree with me!

Let us consider the various things that supposedly motivate a huge number of people.
1.Materialistic possessions:
Includes money or things that can be bought with it and hoarded as one's property. There is no scope for an argument here, people do this for pleasure and only pleasure. Most people look down upon this motivational factor as base and even animalistic. I do not agree.
2.Power/Clout:
Why do people need power? (Very good John, but I was not talking about electricity.) What do they do when they obtain it? Why do they keep wanting more? Just like money, power is also an abundant source of pleasure. Thinly-veiled, the specter of pleasure smiles from behind the mask of power.
3.Fame/Glory:
To be known to a large number of people; to be doted on; to be followed, praised, lifted in the air, cheered for; to be criticized, talked about, and sometimes even hated; to see one's name or face in print or other media. Those of you who imagined these things while reading are sure to be feeling good, feeling pleasured. This is because fame and glory is nothing but another source of pleasure.
4.Magnanimity/Benevolence:
Acts of kindness, selflessness, charity; working for the greater good; doing what others want; helping the needy... etc. These acts are also carried out solely for pleasure. Take a moment and ask yourself, the last time you helped someone or sacrificed something so someone else could benefit, what did you feel? The answer has to be pleasure.
There might be difficulty accepting this Grand Unified Theory at first. If that is the case, then look closely at this text; yes, closely. Do not look elsewhere. You are beginning to believe. You are feeling better about agreeing with me. You are liking what I am telling you. You will make me the prime-beneficiary in your will. You will help me take over this world and crown myself King! Oh well, it was worth a shot. Looks like the 'well-spent' 10 bucks on Literary Hypnotism 101 were not so well-spent after all.

So now on to plan C. The difficulty to accept this theory is mostly due to the fact that most humans wish to believe that they are in certain ways superior to animals. I won't claim that they are not, I do not wish to be branded as an animalist (an advocate of the doctrine that people are just animals). However, I find that all motivational factors have their roots deeply buried in pleasure. Contradiction is evident here, but I have found a way out. (Yes, I understand your mental imagery of me as an eel. It's alright, no offense taken.)

According to me, pleasure is more human than animal. There was a time when humans openly embraced pleasure as something holy and divine. Unfortunately, most modern religions decided that this did not serve their purpose of rapid expansion and control and hence branded pleasure as a base and animal-like quality. This, I believe, is the reason that humans are in denial about their driving force and look for and invent alternate ones.

Do post your thoughts in the comments.
Pleasurably Yours,
Sandy

P.S: Yes, I am pretending that I have not been inactive for a week and that I am not at all sorry about it.

16 comments:

Rane (The Orchid with All Shades Pink) said...

i am here at 3.35 a.m... too many thoughts for this time of the night.. i read it.. i got the point..and I agree.. if i get thoughts on my own in the morning..will come back and post them as a comment...

p.s. staying inactive is not that bad.. keep blogging..

Sandy said...

@Rane
I am honored that you visited my blog at so late an hour. I look forward to your next comment.
Also, glad you forgive me for being inactive. Wait... I was never inactive. :P
Cheers!

Demented Demon. said...

Excellent blog as usual.

Lee Beth said...

Really interesting. Ha! There's a thought.

Cabin-boy Dave said...

That's an interesting theory. It may even be ultimately true :)

But how would you account for masochists? They do stuff because they like to experience pain, the opposite of pleasure.

Sandy said...

@Lee Beth
Thank you. :)

@Dave
mas·och·ism:
The deriving of pleasure, or the tendency to derive pleasure, from being humiliated or mistreated, either by another or by oneself.

That's a dictionary.com definition. Yes, pain is what a masochist wants, but only because he/she derives pleasure from it.
Thank you for pointing out that angle though, I hadn't thought of it. :)

Cheers!

Simon said...

No argument from me. The first points are, as you say, pretty self-evident, and as for the controversial last one, I’ve always maintained that there’s no such thing as altruism.

Any voluntary act we perform is either to achieve pleasure or reduce pain (we may make misjudgements, but that is the aim); acts of ‘selfless’ generosity make us feel better, or at least less guilty, and I don’t really see that there’s anything wrong with that. People don’t take credit where it’s due because it would make themselves feel uncomfortable otherwise.

These are perfectly natural and basic human drives, and we act according to them. We don’t really have any choice. Some people find this concept reductionist and somehow taking away our humanity or goodness, but I’ve never had a problem with the idea. All that matters to us is whether someone is ‘good’: his motives are not really important.

Sandy said...

@Simon
I like the way you have summed everything up. Reductionist my post might be, but that's what I am best at. I believe that we humans tend to complicate matters unnecessarily and have made it one of my primary goals to simplify things.
Keep reading. :)
Cheers!

Juan Pablo said...

I so enjoy this blog...

And I agree, and I don't think that doing good things for others for selfish purposes negates the goodness of the deed. It's mutually beneficial... why would one feel ashamed that giving makes one feel better? It most certainly does, and I think the one on the receiving end doesn't mind in the least.

I don't know if that's entirely what you were implying but that's what I got out of it LOL

Excellent post!

Lee Beth said...

Interesting tidbit if you'd like to know; the best words of wisdom I think I ever found. Carved into a rock up in some forest in p.a., "You are not what you own." I think having materialistic posessions up at the top of your list is pretty accurate. Sets you thinking.(Just had to come back and comment something a little better.)

Sandy said...

@Lee Beth
Interesting tit-bit indeed! The fact that "You are not what you own" counts as relevant wisdom suggests that most people do think of themselves in terms of the materialistic things they possess. (Glad you came back. :))

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Hey Sandy!

I agree on the money/possessions thing - I'm simplifying my life by having only what I need and a few things of sentimental value and it's working out great. I still have stuff but I try not to buy things that are purely frivolous and will be forgotten about in two weeks. Having said that, I completely understand people's compulsions to buy things and the pleasure it gives. If it gives pleasure and isn't hurting anyone, why the hell not? If that's your thing, who has the right to tell you you're wrong?

As for the fame/glory thing, I'm not sure I agree it's all about pleasure although in a sense I guess that's true. I think people who crave fame and glory are often people who feel insecure or insignificant or crave attention and getting that attention makes them feel good. Not everyone of course, but a vast number. I can't think of anything much worse than being famous and not being left alone to live your life anonymously.

Benevolence does make you feel good. It's good to help someone else, but I wonder sometimes if we do it for THEM or for US. Maybe both. And that's ok! :)

RdGarnet said...

Thanks Sandy, now you got me thinking.....

I totally agree on the money/possessions thing. Interesting theory. Great post! Can't wait for the next one :-)

Sandy said...

@The Vegetable Assassin
Thank you for posting your thoughts in detail. :)
Well, although sometimes people like to think that they do good deeds for OTHERS, I firmly believe that they do them only because they derive pleasure from it. They are probably unaware of this though.
Welcome to The Village Idiot. :)

@RdGarnet
I am happy to have got you thinking! I'll get right to work on my next post. :)

Keshi said...

I agree totally abt PLEASURE being very human. I guess we humans r control-freaks and like to change everything around so that it suits our egos :)

dun worry Sandy..I'll take a break and come back. How can I leave my Cranium ha? Cos blogville to me is WISDOM. ty so much for ur support, advice and caring words.

Keshi.

Sandy said...

@Keshi
Yes Keshi, we humans are strange beings indeed. Sometimes I convince myself that I am the undisputed ruler of the world and bark orders to the instruments in my pencil-box(yes, I have a blue coloured one with cartoons on it.)
I look forward to your come-back. :)
Cheers!